Tuesday, July 12, 2011

3 Short Paragraphs: Jennifer's Body


2009, Karyn Kusama - Netflix.

I originally saw this in the theatre when it came out and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a nice twist on the usual teen sex romp horror flick with some catchy dialogue ala the short lived trend generated by Diablo Cody. Smart, mouthy teens speaking in none too realistic pop-culture thick dialects is something I have enjoyed since Buffy. And, yeah full disclosure, I like Megan's skank factor. I decided to watch it again because it was something recent on netflix and also to see if it held up to a second viewing.

It does. It still struck me as smart and catchy. I like the atypical opening and over-dialogue. What I didn't like as much this time round was Jennifer. She is such a bitch and while I won't say she deserved being sacrificed by loser hipster satanists, I sure wasn't as sympathetic as I was in cinema viewing. Its not surprising that a demon is able to body ride her back to life; they are a good fit. And after years of passive-aggressive abuse at the hands of her friend, Needy is finally able to react, albeit it in a final, violent way.

I found myself thinking about how much this wasn't Twilight. Both take place in the north west right? Both are about monsters going to highschool. But this probably took place on a side of town that Cullen wouldn't visit unless he broke his human blood fast. I guess I prefer my monsters a little less sparkly and more skanky.

No comments:

Post a Comment