Monday, July 18, 2011

3 Grumpy Paragraphs: Thor



2011, Kenneth Branagh (really ken, didn't you learn anything from Frankenstein?!?) -- cinema

I really wanted to like it, really i did !! I wanted to be woo-ed by Asgard, be tossed into a magical-née-science world of gods and monsters. I wanted Ken to inject his Shakespearean background into the Asgardian world with costuming and set dressing and mannerisms. Instead I got, and I should have expected it, plastic-y action figure costumes (you can imagine Micronauts wearing these costumes; where WAS Acroyear??), set dressing out of computer and masserisms better left for Asgard 90210. I also wished I could have seen things better. I have to blame the small theatre screen and crappy projector (or maybe just my bad eye) but even the expected crisp CGI seemed washed out and fuzzy. So no eyecandy love for TBIT.

Midgard. I still don't get the whole rom-com aspect of Dr and the Demi-God. I like a chick-flick more than the next guy but really, was this the place for it? Hit him with a car do me wrong, hit him with a car twice, do you wrong!! If it wasn't for Kat Denning cracking me up, I would have snored through these scenes. And don't get me started on the buddy story.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't expecting The Dark Knight. But I was at least expecting The Hulk. OK, really I wasn't expecting anything but hoping for a good flashy superhero romp. I don't even feel I got that. I would have just liked more weight to the aspect that these characters were godly, even being so much as the templates for whom the vikings worshiped. I guess I just wanted the story bigger, more impressive. I don't even have the energy to describe how much I liked some performances, like Elba and Stellan Skarsgård.

Bonus paragraph !! I'm Thor, I'm Thor !! You forgot your thaddle thilly.

(now read Graig's take)

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, you guys keep saying this movie has 'rom-com' in it. I don't want rom-com mixed with my superhero movies!

    I highly doubt I'll ever be giving this one a chance. Well, maybe when it comes on Space one night or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every superhero movie has to have some sort of romance element to it. that is a trope i can live with. and i don't mind some funny as long as its appropriate to the scene. but this stuff seems tacked on to make the interaction between the two light and hee-hee.

    gah.

    ReplyDelete