Thursday, December 8, 2011

31 Days of Xmas: Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas

Pure Henson magic.  I have always been fond of detailed environments for small talking animals.  The Richard Scary books were some of my favourite as a toddler and when I first saw the commercials for this special coming out, I was enthralled, despite probably being far too old to be of the age market for it.  I  think.

This was one of Henson team's few attempts at doing full puppets instead of focusing on our favs, the muppets, with marionette and bunraku style being used along with the traditional hand puppet.  i would have thought, after all these years, the magic would be taken away as I could see the strings. Nope, I was just as enthralled and wrapped up in the story. As well, these were some of Paul William's best songs for a Henson production making me giggle and listen intently.

As a Christmas story, it just works so well following the Gift of the Magi (O. Henry) story as the crux of the tale of selflessness giving.  But really it is the characters and the songs that make the show.  It really warms your heart to watch such nice little creatures doing their best for each other.  Yeah, I am a softy despite all my grumpiness and this one just did it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment