Thursday, December 14, 2023

T&K's XMas (2023) Advent Calendar: Hannah Waddingham: Home For Christmas

 d. 2023 - Hamish Hamilton - Apple TV+


If you're neither a fan of Ted Lasso nor British then you likely don't know who Hannah Waddingham is. But once you've seen her, she's kind of hard to forget. If the term "statuesque" didn't already exist, it would be created to describe her  (especially in her first outfit of the evening, a shimmering gold strapless dress it seems she was poured into, that literally makes her look like a statue).  She's got big blue eyes, and a bright, wide smile, very blonde and 5'11" (or 180 cm), and clearly keeps in shape (her shoulder and arm definition is hard not to notice).  When I first saw her on Ted Lasso I believe that Amazons were real, and wondered how this powerful looking woman hadn't been cast in a superhero movie (it's because most Hollywood stars are tiny men and she would make them look even smaller).

I have, routinely, looked down on the celebrity Christmas special, except when I know, like A Very Murray Christmas, that it's going to be a bit...arch.  So why watch this, other than just eye candy (you can get eye candy anywhere). Because, I think, I genuinely miss Ted Lasso and knowing from the promos that the cast are going to make a pop-in here and there, even though I knew it was going to be a bit corny. Plus, I was genuinely impressed with Waddingham's singing on Ted Lasso and really wanted to see what her deal as a singer is .... like, what's her preferred genres and to see her range.

She's been a singer longer than an actress and she can effing belt out a tune. She leans into jazz and R&B but during Oh Holy Night, which she dedicates to her parents (in the audience), she belts out a fairly high (but not opera-high) falsetto (which she does again in the closing song).  Her mom was an Opera Singer who performed in the same venue, apparently, so the talent runs in the family. The song literally made her father weep, a particularly affecting moment in the special.

Waddingham is vibrant and charming throughout, and is never strives for anything. I think the special is so smart because she stays true to herself.  She's stacked the audience with the London Gay Men's Choir, family, her Lasso co-stars and more. It's a four-tier opera house, and it's packed full, but it's quite possible it was by invite only.  The people there genuinely seem to love her as a singer, but they're also very generous any time a Lasso co-star is on stage, which is often.  Waddingham never tries to be an "entertainer" in that she's not even attempting jokes (there are "bits" with the Lasso cast).  She's playful, she's sly, but she's always genuine, and she's expressive.  And everything with her Lasso co-stars seems playful, and never goes for hard jokes. It's fun.  The only thing I don't particularly care for is pantomiming (air guitar, air trumpets and the like) which Waddingham keeps to a minimum.

It's charming. I've watched it twice now. I'm impressed by her. I don't outright love any of the song selections nor the styles of music my particular wheelhouse, but it's all very pleasant.  It looks posh and festive and really does help kick the spirit of the season into another gear. I probably won't watch this annually, and I don't know why I would come back to it, but at the same time, I could see coming back to it when I just need a hit of traditional "Christmassy" vibes.


Here's a run-down of the show.

"All These Things and More" - the show transitions from pre-recorded to live. The sync was out for me (and I've heard others had this problem) so at first I thought the whole show was lip synched which I really didn't like, but I was much more gentle on it after I figured that out. 
 
"The Man With The Bag" (with the Ted Lasso Dancers tuxed out, dancing on stage...leans into the corniness and comes out sort of delightful)

"Please Come Home for Christmas" with Leslie Odom Jr. (probably my favourite song. Waddingham is very much a giant next to Odom. I loved Odom's pillowy silver suit, looks like a designer hand bag).

"Oh Holy Night" (with English National Opera Chorus. Waddingham rightly gets a standing ovation for this performance and the cut-to of her dad wiping tears away is so sweet)

Costume change - a pre-recorded bit with Juno Temple. Has a bit of the old Muppet Show vibe. She comes out afterwards in a red mini dress with a train that I'm sure would knock Toasty's socks off, given his predilection for such reactions in Hallmarkies.

"Run Run Rudolph" (with Sam Ryder, who apparently came out of Eurovision a big star but to me he just seemed like a Will Forte impersonator. My least favourite section of the show).

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (with Scott Baker and Patrick Davey, aka The Fabulous Lounge Swingers, and Phil Dunster... who knew Jamie Tart had such a crooner's voice and theatre kid energy? I like a lounge vibe.)

Another Costume change, with Hannah finding Bret Goldstein in a hot tub in her changing room.  They flirt, and Bret coaxes Hannah to get into the tub (wouldn't take much to get me in a hot tub with Roy Kent either).  She climbs in her red dress, which is somehow far hotter than had she taken it off. It's all very steamy, though I do find it weird watching these two flirt with each other for some reason.  Aftewards she comes out on stage in a blindingly white dress that her lower half disappears into as it looks like a moving mound of snow. It looks smashing.


 
"Winter Wonderland" (with Luke Evans. They're apparently old friends and when they dance cheek-to-cheek they have total "old friends" chemistry. Evans can croon.)

"It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" is the big finale with everyone on stage. The final verse she belts out in high operetta falsetto and she can do it, but it's a pretty jarring transition from her usual singing voice.  It's damn impressive though.

The final pre-recorded piece has her exiting the theatre in her white dress and a gorgeous white cloak, getting into a black cab, singing Jingle Bells, with Jason Sudekis -- because you had to know he'd show up - as the driver).

No comments:

Post a Comment