Monday, December 25, 2023

3 Short Paragraphs (Or Not): The Killer

2023, David Fincher (Gone Girl) -- Netflix

Small film? Assassin gone wrong film? Character stuff film? Yes please. All of the above please.

...

I think I need to go back and rewatch a few films to remember what a Fincher Film might be like. While I recall a certain emotional attachment to the director, I don't recall the .... style he had. When I look at his listing, I do notice that I have Not Seen just as many of his as I did see. And Manhunter ended up being relegated to The List -- the list of TV shows I know I should be watching, but instead, I just watch some less-than-satisfying genre crap.

So, like most Assassin Movies, it starts with the main character narrating details of who he is, and what he does. Given that it is based on a long running French comic book, its not surprising there is stylistic narration that needs to be included, and Fincher does a decent job of making it appropriate without going overboard. And since its part of the assassin movie genre....

He gives assassin advice, talking about taking your time and paying attention and getting a good amount of sleep and being patient and exercising. He has a mantra that gets repeated over and over, even after he begins to derail said manta. But I get ahead of myself. He's in Paris, and he has been waiting for The Target to arrive, patiently. Alas, someone gets in the way of his bullet and fucks the whole job.

The Customer is not happy and neither is the Handler. But the Killer goes about his usual exit path, and returns to his estate in the Dominican Republic. His place has been attacked. His girlfriend has been hurt.

That was a mistake. Despite his mantra, he is now emotionally involved in the situation and the rest of the movie is him making people pay for that mistake -- their mistake for taking action against him and those he cares about, and for his own emotional reaction.

The thing Fincher does that I really enjoyed about the movie is letting us go through his details, focused activities without getting bored. The Killer is precise, even when guided by the emotion he so loudly (to us) states he eschews. Fassbender embodies this.

The thing about it fitting my "small film" ideal, is that I don't have much more to say about it. Its extremely satisfying but nothing is meant to Wow you.

Kent's view. We Agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment