Thursday, July 9, 2020

3 Short Paragraphs: Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

2020, David Dobkin (Wedding Crashers) -- Netflix

When I am having difficulty finishing another post, I find one at random and just say whatever. I should be able to say whatever about the original, but for some reason, my brain won't let me. So, the whatever about this movie is, "Why did I watch this?" Well,  I like Iceland, I like Rachel McAdams, I cringe at Eurovision and for the most part, I don't like Will Ferrell. But I really like Dan Stevens, so watching him as an over-the-top Russian pop singer with big hair was probably the main attract-or. Alas, my original thought proved true -- meh.

Lars Ericksson (Ferrell) and Sigrit Erricksdottir (McAdams) were friends since childhood; they may or may not be brother & sister. Erick Ericksdottir (Pierce Brosnan) is a widower who is quite friendly with the local ladies and has been for quiiiiiite some time. That is the first joke I found kind of amusing yet also off-putting. When you do an entire movie that is based on both being fond of a place & culture, yet depending on making fun of it, there are bound to be some off-colour jokes. Lars and Sigrit have one dream -- to win the Eurovision Song Contest, despite being rather terrible. Given that the contest itself confounds North Americans, by being grandiose and over-the-top but also EXTREMELY popular, its not surprising the main characters have to be the same. Due to some rather unfortunate circumstances, Fire Saga (their band) ends up being Iceland's entry in the contest.

So, yeah they go to the contest and everyone assumes they are terrible (as Lars is) and are going to bomb. And they do, but they also capture the hearts of not only the audience but also many of the other contestants. But not mine. Sure, there are some good jokes, and as expected, Dan Steven's Russian singer who is Not Gay ("there are no gay people in Russia") but so very very Definitely Gay is incredible. But the movie was so by the numbers a Will Ferrell movie, I just could not do much more than chuckle. There was literally only one scene I truly found funny, and Marmy had to point to me the faerie door slamming. So, other than being somewhat chuckle worthy and full of lovely Icelandic scenery, I wish I had given this one a pass.

2 comments: