Thursday, July 15, 2021

A Black Lady Sketch Show season 2

 2021, created by Robin Thede - HBO


I can't believe it was over 2 years ago that I reviewed A Black Lady Sketch Show's first season.  It does feel like it's been a while since I saw it (to the point that I was wondering if the show hadn't been renewed for a second season), but I was surprised when a second season debuted.

There were some cast shake-ups between seasons, with Quinta Brunson having a scheduling conflict, but new additions Laci Mosley and Skye Townsend very quickly incorporating into the collective with Robin Thede, Ashley Nicole Black and Gabrielle Dennis.

The post-apocalyptic framework is still there, acting as sort of the ongoing narrative of the show.  It's an unusual device for sketch comedy to have an ongoing framework, but it's one of the most delightful aspects on the show.  In the framework sketches, the actors all play heightened characters modeled after themselves and it allows some amusing insights into their personalities and dynamics, even if it's not real.  It gives the show something to hang on.

I loved that the opening of the show wasn't the same every week (set to KaMillon's "Fine Azz").  It looked the same but there seemed to be new takes that made their way in, each week more and more noticeable the differences.  It's not saying anything specific, it's just fun.

Likewise, each episode ends with a blooper reel, which often can be corny but when you're having as much fun as they are, it's infectious.  Now, as a middle-aged white male, I'm naturally not the target demo for the show, so I'm sure there's a lot that goes over my head, but, like the first season, the sketches themselves are always enjoyable with a couple of absolute classics.  Here the final sketch of the season is the season's best.

The "Brown Family Reunion" finds some tense conversations deflated by the introduction to Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison".  I can't describe it, but there's few things I've laughed so hard at.  I don't know if I'll ever think of "Poison" any other way.

1 comment: