Monday, July 12, 2021

3 Short Paragraphs: Mortal Kombat

 2021, Simon McQuoid (Australian commercial director) -- download

The follow-ups to the 90s flops, based on a VERY popular, and ultra-violent, fighter video game (from waaaay back in the days when you fed machines quarters; Google it kiddies) suffered in various forms of development hell for decades. For a moment there was an end of tunnel light, when Kevin Tancharoen almost got a full-feature off the ground, based on his very well received short Mortal Kombat: Rebirth but even that went nowhere. Until James Wan, yes the Saw guy, got this one produced. Alas, I doubt this will resurrect any franchise hopes.

I admit, I never took to the game. Not only was I not attracted to the gratuitous ultra-violence (I know, surprises me as well), I was just never very good at fighters. They also struck me as the jock choice, video games to be played by the testosterone obsessed. Judgmental nerds was even a thing back then. The games follow the similar pattern where fighters of great skill & power, some human, some not so much, battle it out for ... glory? fame? heads? I never knew. This movie establishes that there is a tournament, if won by the dark dimension Outworld, for a tenth and final time (I guess we in Earthrealm kind of suck, despite all those quarters) gives permission for all the evil monsters of Outworld to invade our world with impunity. Despite the already seemingly destined win, the Big Bad Evil Guy Shan Tsung, sends his evil warriors to kill the potential Earth winners ahead of the tournament, because apparently that's not against the rules. Whose rules, you ask? Who knows, as I guess they expect the audience to either be aware of lore from the game, or just accept. Meanwhile the Earth warriors have an prophesized ace card in the resurrection of a famous Japanese fighter, as well as having the totally-not-thor Thunder God Raiden on their side. But to defeat Outworld there must be .... <ominous shouting> MORTAL KOMBAT !!

With some chagrin, I say that this is the exact kind of movie I need to see during The Pause. Its easy to digest, even easier to mock, and I am not invested. But it has a heavy dose of fantasy, an adequate special effects budget and the acting/production values are slightly above most action flicks. It was light, it was fluffy but it was fun. And I imagine, if I was a fan of the games, I would have loved how highlighted Sub-Zero and Scorpion were. But by all means, the movie is not good, with so many plot holes, you just cannot think about it with any depth. For example, I don't think we actually ever get to any tournament fight, with the movie ending by defeating the BBEG's champions before any organized event happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment