Thursday, October 3, 2019

31 Days of Halloween: Satanic Panic

2019, Chelsea Stardust (Slay Per View) -- download

I dance around the edges of pop culture subcultures. I am not a Trekkie, I am not a cosplayer, hells, I don't even attend the Fan Expo. I am a lurker, not a participant. I have observed the Horror subculture, those goth & metal and counter-culture kids who love everything Horror related. We have been in line with them at Midnight Madness, attended the occasional rep movie viewing with them. I even know a few who could be labelled as such. But no, not me.

This subculture does more than dive into fandom, as many are active participants in perpetuating the genre -- they are part of the making of the movies. Based on her credits, I imagine Chelsea Stardust to be one. She's been on the crew of a lot of the recognizable movies of the genre, and a couple of interviews tell her to be a big fan of the genre. But the problem is, and this is where my preamble leads, is that sometimes these creators are ... too deep into it. While I appreciate making things for the love of it, as we well know I am not good at this blogging, but, damn, a lot of the movies made by this subculture are the worst of the lot. They seem to exist to just play on the tropes, to point out how much they love horror.

Satanic Panic pits a pizza girl against the ultra-wealthy who get their power & prestige from worshipping Hell. She blunders into their ritual seeking to shame them into a tip, and ends up being their token virgin sacrifice. They chase her around the massive mansions of the neighbourhood casting spells and sicking low-budget monsters after her. Eventually she is captured and they complete their ritual. And then there are bunnies.

There is decent acting, some fun characters, capable effects and a fun, quirky sensibility to the movie. But, for the love of Baphomet, do something interesting !!  This movie was just so fucking deep in Meh. And this is coming from me, someone who can at least enjoy the middle of the road of the genre! In the end it almost seemed to be a showcase piece for horror movie makers (see! decent gore practical effects! see! we know our Satanic lingo!) instead of a movie for the viewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment