Saturday, October 20, 2018

31 Days of Halloween 2018: Creep 2

2017, Patrick Brice (Creep) -- Netflix

The first one creeped me out, pun entirely intended, but was so disturbing that it just clung to me like cobwebs in a emotionally haunted house. Mr Creep was just so entirely unpleasant, that he just kept on coming back to me. But I was not sure I really wanted another dose of that, despite how utterly staring-at-a-car-crash the movie was. But the sequel has not stuck with me, in any fond memory way, as the first did. I think it was just that knowing that he is out there, ready to be in another movie wigs the shit out of me.

Josef is now Aaron, having taken the name of the main character he killed in the first movie. The begins with a prologue to remind us of whom Aaron is, a serial killer who befriends people but eventually kills them.

In traditional Found Footage manner, we pick up with the new main character, aside from Aaron, Sara (Desiree Akhavan, Girls) telling us why she is going to meet Aaron. She is a videographer, or maybe just a vblogger, who focuses on socially challenged guys she connects with via Craigs List. She seems to have no fear of what she could run into, and despite even her own misgivings she drives up to the middle of nowhere to shoot a tale of Aaron.

To top things off, Aaron tells her exactly who he is and his desire to document what he has been doing. She gets one day "amnesty" and then.... well, you know what would be next. For some fucking reason, she agrees, likely because she doesn't quite believe him. She soon loses that doubt.

Aaron is about constant misdirection, but I found myself just annoyed at her .... naivete ? ambition? She sees a great vlog post out of this, but continues to ignore the signs of danger until its too late. While intrigued with the way Aaron was portrayed, and Duplass is as incredibly believable as he was the first time round, I was just annoyed at we just knew where it was going. Even if you accept a slight not-twist of her getting away, we always know he is going to come back and ... well, make a third movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment