Thursday, January 12, 2012

3 Short Paragraphs: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

2004, Alfonso Cuarón ( Y tu mamá también, Children of Men) -- download

Let's do some catch up.  After a month & half of a lung infection and the sudden the slam-down of the holidays, I didn't have much time for writing on this lil thing.  So, with a few back dated final attempts to do the 31 Days of Xmas (alas, life took it away from me), I also need to complete entries for those before December and a few during.

This, visually, is my favourite of the series.  That is kind of a turnabout as when I first saw it in the theatre, I was not that fond of the look, as it left the charm and light heartedness of the first two, when viewing magic and Hogwarts and went for more of a grand scale awe.  It was directed by Alfonso Cuarón, known for the incredible visuals in Children of Men.  What?  You think I remember him for Y tu mamá también? Nah, that one was about sex and the single-shot sequences in C of M, especially the one around the tank, just blew me away.  So, he knows how to build a scene and how to make it awe-striking and beautiful.  Also, the creepy introduction of the dementors still makes me shudder.

I also just loved Gary Oldman and David Thewlis.  They are two men I usually associate with intensity and challenging drama but to see them here as two sweet, yes sweet, good guys just out to protect and nurture Harry makes me smile.  Actually when I look at the entire cast, I realize how quickly I dismissed all the names being dropped (Julie Christie, Robbie Coltrane, Michael Gambon, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, etc etc) and just got wrapped up in all their characters.  But Oldman and Thewlis carry off the werewolf and the shapechanger, old buddies and loving guardians, with such charm.  Besides, if I was going to be a wizard I would want to look as cool as Oldman.

No comments:

Post a Comment