Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Go-Go-Godzilla: final thoughts and ranking


 Last year, on Halloween, when I decided to start watching All The Godzillas*, I didn't know that there was both a new Toho Godzilla and Legendary Godzilla feature in the direct path of my stupid boy project. It was genuine good fortune that my viewing experience culminated with the release of Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire. 

I also didn't expect that, just a few weeks prior to GxK, I would be cheering for a crew of Japanese visual effects artists as they held their Godzilla action figures in one hand and their Oscar in the other. Or that the best of all Godzilla films would be that latest Toho production.


As I reflect upon viewing  All The Godzillas*, it's a pretty messy blur of textured suits, destroyed miniatures and radiation blasts. If you were to pick out any pre-2010 Godzilla title and ask me to explain to you the plot, with the exception of the original Gojira I'm not sure that I could.  The Toho films run through so many of the same tropes and iterations of the same creatures, they reuse so many of the same actors in different roles, and their plots are so often labyrinthine or nonsensical or convoluted, and rarely ever with connective tissue from one film to the next, that it's really hard to make one stand out from the whole.  

Rather than a full or rich understanding of story or character, with each of the pre-2010 Toho films I am left with instead an impression, a sense of something that I liked or disliked about it, something that I reacted strongly or negatively to.

As I've said a few times, what I respond to most in Godzilla films is a strong character story. In almost every Godzilla film, Godzilla is not really a character. He is what the film is built around, weather as a force of nature, or as a planetary protector... he may have characteristics, or perhaps even a bit of personality, but he's never the central story character, certainly not like Kong usually is. I don't recall ever feeling a tremendous sense of sympathy or empathy for Godzilla.  Sure, you root for or against the big bastard, but you're never invested in him for his wants and desires, biting nails hoping he achieves his objectives.  And if Godzilla ever stares down a human, it's usually anyone's guess whether their monster is even clocking human facial expressions. Have you ever stared an ant in the eye and felt a genuine connection? There should be nothing remotely human about Godzilla, and he shouldn't care about us as a species at all.


As I wrote up each film for this "Go-Go-Godzilla" series, I assigned each film a ranking (out of 5 Zs). I also would enter my viewing in Letterboxd, assigning the film a ranking out of 5 stars. For the most part these rankings aligned (but not always, sometimes as I write things out my opinions can become more, or less, favourable). But I used these ratings to maintain my rankings list, adding to it with each film watched.

Very quickly the rankings list started to feel more and more arbitrary. By the time I was watching Tokyo S.O.S. do you really think I could earnestly compare it to Godzilla vs Megalon? All I really have to go on is my Z/star ratings as guide to establish tiers and then my general sense memory to sort the films within the tiers.

I mean, it was pretty obvious to me what my favourites were, and very clear what I genuinely did not care for, but everything in-between is the "mushy middle". 

Even with the Z/star rankings as guide, my "sense memory" of certain films wants me to push it higher, or perhaps question it's spot. Like Mothra vs Godzilla was a big win early on after two dudes, but is it really at equal stature or enjoyment to me as Minus One, 2014, or Shin?


Gojira is classic cinema, a massively influential and important film with a deeply resonant message. But its storytelling is disjointed and visually its perhaps not as potent as it was 50/60/70 years ago. But surely it's better than any film with MechaGodzilla, right?

And I feel like I would go to bat for Ebirah, Horror of the Deep any day, and think it should be in my top ten. So why isn't it?

I'm sure if I dared do a rewatch of all these that they would shift all around. I think Minus One, 2014, and Shin would all remain top 5, and that most of the bottom five would stay right there, but everything else could swing in unexpected ways. 



But I don't think Lady Kent would tolerate me doing a full Godzilla rewatch any time soon, and there's a whole lotta other kaiju tourism for me to partake in.

*********
RANKING
*********

  1. Godzilla Minus One (2023) ****

  2. Godzilla (2014) ****

  3. Mothra vs Godzilla (1964) ****

  4. Shin Godzilla (2016) ****

  5. The Return of Godzilla (1984) ***1/2

  6. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2004) ***1/2

  7. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974) ***1/2

  8. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II (1993) ***1/2

  9. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) ***1/2

  10. Gojira (1954) ***

  11. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966) ***

  12. Godzilla vs Kong (2021) ***

  13. Godzilla 2000: Millennium (1999) ***

  14. Godzilla vs Megaguiras (2000) ***

  15. Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971) ***

  16. Godzilla vs Gigan (1972) ***

  17. Godzilla vs Megalon (1973) ***

  18. Godzilla vs Destroyah (1995) ***

  19. Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster (1964) ***

  20. Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (2024) **1/2

  21. Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) **1/2

  22. Godzilla vs Mothra (1992)**1/2

  23. Destroy All Monsters (1968) **½

  24. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-out Attack (2001) **½

  25. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)**1/2

  26. Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) **1/2

  27. Godzilla Raids Again (1955) **1/2

  28. Godzilla 1985 (US version 1985) **1/2

  29. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002) **

  30. Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994) **

  31. All Monsters Attack (1969) **

  32. Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965) **

  33. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991) *1/2

  34. Godzilla King of the Monsters (1956) *1/2

  35. King Kong vs Godzilla (US version 1962) *½

  36. Son of Godzilla (1967) *

Did not watch:
Godzilla (1998)
Godzilla Planet of Monsters (2017)
Godzilla City on the Edge of Battle (2018) Godzilla The Planet Eater (2018) 

1 comment:

  1. Good grief. I can't believe you're even mentioning the idea of a rewatch again already. Leave that poor kaiju alone for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete