Saturday, September 30, 2023

3 Short Paragraphs (Or Not): Nimona

2023,  Nick Bruno, Troy Quane (Spies in Disguise) -- Netflix

Set in a futurist fantasy world, Nimona tells the tale of the Knight Ballister Boldheart accused of murdering his queen and the "villain" he befriends in order to clear his name and bring the real villain to justice. Based on a graphic novel by ND Stevenson, the story is as much about queerness and identity, as much as it is a rollicking adventure, because Nimona is shapeshifter who really doesn't relate to her original form anymore. She comes seeking an ally in Boldheart seeing a chance to be a sidekick to a real villain. But really, neither are villains.

Nimona is a hoot. She's brash, enthusiastic and more than a little chaotic. At first Ballister can barely tolerate her, but as their agendas mesh, he comes to be very fond of her, especially as he learns her backstory. Meanwhile Boldheart is a brave, honourable knight who happens to be gay, but I really like how that is not played into his proposed "villainy" for the other brave knight, tasked with capturing the killer, is his boyfriend Ambrosius Goldenloin (that name, snicker).

I really am doing the "3 short paragraphs" because, despite my real fondness for the movie, it just didn't stick with me. Animation plays the tough game of always having to balance comedy, action, heartfelt messages and amazing visuals. Sometimes the story suffers when they try to be everything to all, and never really find a core element that shines above everything else, that stands out and is memorable. Maybe I could find it in a rewatch, when I was not struggling with the post-10pm-old man's but somehow I still feel I would remain only mildly charmed by the film, while simultaneously absolutely loving Nimona herself. I should probably find and read the graphic novel.

I am not sure those are what I would call "short paragraphs".

No comments:

Post a Comment