Tuesday, February 23, 2021

3 Short Paragraphs: Yesterday

 2019, Danny Boyle (28 Days Later...) -- download

I am not sure whether I had a dream about this movie last night, or had a dream about writing this blog post. Either way, last night I was dreaming of a world where the Beatles didn't ever exist, or more accurately, 4 guys did not come together as a band. That is the central premise of Yesterday, wherein a not-successful singer/songwriter from a small town on the English coast, wakes up from an accident, in this Beatle-less world, and decides to bank on their absence to become a wildly successful popstar by "writing" and performing their songs.

This is where I admit to not being a Beatles fan. Its not that I don't like them, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure, great, catchy pop songs and more than your fair share of gems amongst them, but... *shrug* ... meh. But the rest of the world, our world, assumes they are the greatest pop songs ever, so if someone was to perform (for the first time) them in a mediocre fashion, they would still raise him to the heights of BeatleMania. Sure, whatever. You be you, rest of world. 

This movie was more a Richard Curtis (Love, Actually) movie for me, than Danny Boyle. To be honest, I am not sure Boyle has a signature style that identifies any piece of film as his. So, the charms of Curtis's characterization are there, along with his quirks and odd humour. And it was that which I loved about the movie. Its a cute little flick, with likeable performances, and people you want to hug, or slap. Curtis always has to have a character you just want to slap. And no, I don't mean Ed Sheeran -- my reasons for wanting to slap Sheeran are entirely separate from this movie. I mean, the guy is an incredible singer and performer, but I just do not like the music he choses to make money from. I like his smaller, quieter stuff, which I hope he will actually make an album from, someday.

4 comments:

  1. This concept irks me to no end because it's really, really stupid and I don't see how anyone can make this work in any fashion that would make me want to see it.

    Toasty, tell me, do they get into what the music of a Beatles-less world sounds like? Is it still just crooning and old style country, as if the Stones or Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly didn't exist too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, it assumes the development of rock n roll just progresses along well enough without them. there were plenty of bands doing similar style music when the Beatles became the highlight of the day, the Stones being one of them. i am entirely fine with the idea of the world functioning well without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, glad they didn't go down that road...but then to ask, if the Beatles absence doesn't really have much of an impact on music or the world, is it just a film about a guy who is trying to pass off someone else's work as his own ?

      Delete
  3. well, it is and it isn't. given that the main character becomes a sensation overnight just for "writing" their songs implies the movie believes they were so impactful that being introduced at any time in history would create the BeatleMania. If the movie had shown, as you suggest, that rock n roll had been diminished in their absence, I would have accepted the "OMG Beatles Music!" aspect. But not being a beatles fan all that much, I am sure the world went along just fine.

    ReplyDelete