Saturday, May 23, 2020

3 Short Paragraphs: Jumanji: The Next Level

2019, Jake Kasdan (Bad Teacher) -- download

An annoying aspect of going through so many hiatuses (hiatusi?) is that I am often surprised I just didn't write about a movie. For example, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, or Jumanji 2 if you wish. Kent did but I didn't. Weird. I remember rather liking it, especially Jack Black and Kevin Hart, the latter I normally cannot stand a bit. And Rhys Darby as the NPC was classic. I am thinking every video game based movie needs to now include him as an NPC, even if background.

Surprisingly, this sequel actually let the characters learn from their experiences In Game and grow, so when we met them again, they were evolved as people. I liked that Bethany had become a bit of a social activist post-highschool. I also liked that the consummate nerd Spencer was suffering from this evolution in his friends. That adventure in Jumanji would have been one of the highlights of his life, and coming back to the pressures of mundanity would be hard. So, of course, its because of him that the gang is dragged into the game, along with some other ne'er do wells.

The plot is as light as the first, and disappears from memory pretty quickly, but its what the movie does with its gimmicks that is the most fun. I would have preferred they explore more the tropes of a game sequel and NPCs lives vs players, but the futz up between which Player was which Character was great -- especially Danny DeVito, as a crotchety grampa figure playing Braveheartstone. I hope for the next movie, they explore the idea of an NPC gaining an understanding of the Player world.

No comments:

Post a Comment