Thursday, January 23, 2020

We Agree: Star Wars Ep9: Rise of the Skywalker

2019, JJ Abrams (Star Trek) -- Cinema

Yes, I know and I prefer my way of (mis)spelling the movie title; just cuz.

I told myself, and Kent in comments, that I c/would not write about this movie yet as I was just not sure and not until I had seen it another time. But that is not likely to happen any time soon, so here I am writing down some thoughts. Thoughts that are along the line of We Agree.

So, recap (well, personal not previous movies). I am the guy who really enjoys Ep1: The Phantom Menace. But I rather despise the next two movies in the prequel trilogy, so much so that I rarely re-watch them. For some reason, I have never done a ReWatch tagged write up of the primary centre mass of the movies, but I am that guy who remembers the lead-up and the utter joy at seeing the original movie, tagging along with my older brother Kenny, when I was 10 years old. I am A Fan. Thus, Ep7 was OK, I liked humming the familiar tune, but I missed getting goosebumps from the opening brass. And I was definitely in one of the minorities (not often a Straight White Cis Guy can say that) in that I really really liked Ep8. I cannot argue the fanboys for not liking it, and prefer to not acknowledge the frothing neckbeards for the hate. I really need to post a ReWatch to cover my feelings on it, as I saw it during The Great Hiatus of Late 2017 Early 2018.

So, the one sentence summary, considering I am still in the Only Seen It Once state? It was fine, it was just fine. Yeah, that is probably my greatest issue with it, in that is was just fine.

So, recap. Proper recap. Luke is dead, most of the Resistance is dead (massive side note: I had to do some wiki reading to understand exactly why there was even a Resistance when this trilogy began. If the Empire was defeated, and the New Republic was in charge, who were they resisting? Wouldn't they just be policing the Galaxy? Well, when the First Order began rising, the New Republic did little to stop them. Let them be, they thought, they can have the fringe worlds and we will rule ours. But being a galactic bureaucracy just led to them appearing weak in the eyes of many worlds, which then decided (or were forced) to secede to the First Order. The New Republic continued to turn a blind eye, so thus rose The Resistance, to actively defend against the depredations of the New/Old Empire), the New Republic themselves are dead, Snoke is dead, Han is dead and any allies the Resistance had seemingly turned away. Ben/Ren is in charge of the First Order. All seems rather bleak.

***SPOILY SPOIL SPOILERS***

We begin with Ben Ren finding a magic triangle, that reminded me somewhat of the magical sphere that Starlord finds in Guardians of the Galaxy Pt 1. But this one leads him to a hidden planet where (OMINOUS MUSIC !!) he finds the barely living corpse of Darth Sidious himself, Emperor Palpatine. Oooooo, Fanboys had a theory on the Internet and got sooooo pissy when things didn't lead that way, so Insert One Sheev Palpatine (his name is Sheev?!?!?) as the Big Bad, the guy who created Snoke but who really wanted Kylo Ren to join the Dark Side, and rule at his side. Also, Palpatine was able to secretly build a fleet of classic Star Destroyers without anyone finding his secret planet. Even if he did it Ancient Pharoah style and killed the builders after they were finished, I am sure someone would notice the loss of an engineering force large enough to create THOUSANDS of Star Destroyers, let alone the depletion of resources for it. But who cares, come stand by my side, hisses Emperor Space Zombie.

Back in Resistance Town, the Good Guys are learning the Deep Dark Secret at pretty much the same time as we are, and they also learn the only way to find him is via the Magic Triangle. Now, off on a Quest to find the only other MT. Don't get me wrong, Quests are fun, in the grand Star Wars tradition, and everyone gets to go together and see new, albeit another desert, planets. The first acts of the movie are just fun fun fun, But if The Force Awakens hummed a familiar tone, The Rise of Skywalker was performing an updated cover of the original tune. This is everything all the Fanboys wanted, including the retcon-ing of decisions made in the last, so that People Get What They Wanted.

The only clue to where the Magical Triangle might be is the last known location of a "Jedi Hunter". After a first unfortunate encounter with Ren, where Rey reveals (to the audience, really) her connection to Palpatine, via a blast of Force Lightning. After that, and a cryptic clue on a dagger (how D&D), the next step is now hidden inside C3PO, but locked behind a directive he cannot contradict without a mind wipe. It's a false device for dramatic effect, but it does address whether droids are considers "people" or not. There is tragedy in him losing his mind, but there is more weight to them choosing to not do it without consent. And the clue is revealed; the Magical Triangle is inside the ruins of the Death Star 2. An end of Act 2 battle between Rey and Ren continues the love / hate / goo goo eyes between the two, but does culminate in an act of compassion. Alas it also dashes the Key to the Planet of the Sith.

As Kent pointed out, so so much happens in this movie, that we rarely get a moment to rest and recupe, rarely do we get a moment to consider what has gone on so far. Its all rushing towards a final confrontation, a final ending to this trilogy, a final ending to Old Republic vs New Republic, Empire vs Resistance, Rey vs Ren, etc. etc. A final ending to nine movies. And I guess we get exactly what we wanted. We get the end of Palpatine, for real this time. We get the story of Rey they all wanted. They. We get an end to Kylo Ren and for a brief moment, a redemption arc for Ben Solo. We get Poe's acknowledgement of his own over confidence, which can only be redeemed when he relies on others. We even get a kiss and a laugh between Rey and Ben.

But did I get a satisfactory ending. Again, I am not entirely sure yet. Maybe we will know when I do the ReWatch.


1 comment:

  1. Normally I would be itching something fierce to go see a Star War in the theatre. That this one provides only the smallest of itches is very telling. Normally I would be going to see a Star War two or three (or more) times at cinema, then anxiously awaiting a dvd/blu-ray and consuming it immediately upon receipt. For this, I *might* just make it to a rep theatre, but at best I'll probably just wait for it to drop on Disney+ ("Disneat"). I'm sure it will eventually weasel its way into The Collection, but I'm itching far more for discs of The Mandalorian (which may never happen?), a show which I've already watched each episode a half dozen times, than I am Rise of Skywalker.

    ReplyDelete