Tuesday, February 12, 2019

3+1 Short Paragraphs: A Simple Favor

2018, Paul Feig (Bridesmaids) -- download

So yes, I am that guy who constantly questions why the fuck he is doing with this page. Is it a review site? Is it a personal blog? Is it getting better? Is it getting worse? I occasionally Google "how to write a movie review" to see if there are any snippets of wisdom or gems of insight that will magically lift my writing from struggles of apathy and mundanity into crystal clarity views of my soul, and its connection to film. Alas most of those hits are so mundane, they make me read like Tolstoy. At least I know what I am not as bad as, despite how clumsy this sentence is. One article I came across claimed I should never write about any movie I don't have great passion for, positive or negative notwithstanding. But if I did that, I would never end up writing at all, as passion from my stress addled brain (and strained heart) is a rare beast.

For example, Paul Feig (who to be honest, I enjoy more as a supporting cast member of Joel McHale's Netflix-d The Soup) releases an enjoyable little movie that didn't inspire any passion in me, but definitely entertained me. Stephanie (Anna Kendrick) is a crafty v-blogger, single and rather introverted. She bumps into fellow mom Emily (Blake Lively), who is pretty much the polar opposite. But a play-date and many martinis later, the two are ... friends? No, not quite. But they have... something.

Their relationship flows quickly as Emily's vodka & gin (tee hee! Aviation Gin) and is never easily defined, especially after Emily disappears. The revelation of what happened to Emily goes from weird & quirky to the realm of murder-mystery which actually stymied my guess-the-Hollywood-formula game. It's not exactly Shakespeare going on here, but honestly I would (and do) watch Anna Kendrick update her Twitter account, so I was enjoying myself.

So, not passionate but entertained. And I am recording that. I am relating what I am watching, because if I don't relate it to someone, then it will be lost, right? Someone has to validate all this time I am wasting on dross. So, if you leave Like or a comment (hint hint) or Kent returns from his idyllic Letterbox'd to leave a contrasting review, then my life will be complete. No, not really, but ... moved along.

P.S. Not from Kent, but from a review from a Kent ?

P.S.S. This poster is wonderful ! Take a gander at IMP Awards for a bunch of wonderful posters. So, OK a bit of passion for the poster!

1 comment: