Tuesday, May 12, 2015

3 Short Paragraphs: The Scribbler

2014, John Suits -- Netflix

Watching movies in the Internet age has changed everything [for me]. I have gone from being that guy who didn't download movies because I would see all the good ones in cinema and rent the OK ones. I am still that guy who will not watch cams [movies filmed by idiots with video cameras in the movie cinema]. But I can now go from catching an article about a small budget, tiny release spec-fic film on a blog, to downloading it soon after or watching on Netflix. Some are good, some are terrible but most are just OK. The Scribbler fits into the latter with a bit of tipping into the bad.

I have not read the graphic novel that the movie is adapted from, so maybe I would have more appreciation for the source material. Maybe not. Suki has multiple personalities, and she has been moved into a halfway house apartment building (???) by her doctor. Said apartment building has a reputation for killing its inhabitants, splattering them on the sidewalks below. And yet the Department of Health has no issues. Suki also has to deal with a particular virulent personality [of her many] dubbed The Scribbler. And there is sex with Garret Dillahunt, always up for playing a great loon, and a conspiracy going on.

This is what happens when I leave a post about a movie linger too long. I end up remembering only key elements of my like, dislike but most often my ennui with a film. I end up reading other people's reviews to remind myself. I bristle at the idea of writing ideas down, as I watch a movie, as that will be too much like a proper review. What I do remember about The Scribbler is that the movie suffers too much from being influenced by other movies. There are hints of Japanese horror movies in there, some notes from Sucker Punch and too many 90s rock videos to count. There are hints of super powers. But, frankly, it never comes together to be actually compelling. Katie Cassidy [buhhh? that's Laurel Lance from Arrow??] does a decent job as Suki but the script and story just carry on through the ideas without sucking us in. There are flashes of neat ideas, the aforementioned influences, but that is about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment