Friday, March 29, 2019

3 Short Paragraphs: Overlord

2018, Julius Avery (Son of a Gun) -- download

"World War II with zombies" is a rather disingenuous tagline for such a fun, robust period supernatural movie, but that is how I heard most people describe it. But, it worked I guess, as I did look forward to it, as all the buzz was positive and I am still a fan of well made zombie flicks. Little did I expect something more along the lines of dark magic fueled Nazi super weapons that could have been plots in Hellboy comics or the Wolfenstein video game series!

Its D-Day and a squad of surviving American soldiers land in the forests of France with a job to perform -- destroy a radio tower that will interfere with the allied attack. The opening footage in the plane establishes our main characters, chosen from the few who survive the plane's destruction and subsequent chaotic parachute jump. After Band of Brothers can we expect anything less? Once on the ground, the small squad led by seasoned Corporal Ford (Wyatt Russel; Kurt's son) make their way to the French village where the tower is, only to find out that the town has been emptied, its strong folk dragged to the church compound for nefarious reasons.

The movie focuses its energies on Boyce (Jovan Adepo; The Leftovers), the green but moral centre. I like that he is black, for his endeavours to do the right thing not being immediately accepted speak of the time and the challenges. I like when movies, which I have always chosen to be my explorative vehicle for race, gender and equality conversations, chose to quietly tackle these power dynamics we still face, but in genre settings where we still get to punch Nazis and shoot up arcane powered walking dead. To be honest, I never wanted to call these enemies zombies because they are more the reanimated dead through alchemy and magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment