2026, Craig Gillespie (Fright Night) -- download
I can immediately say that I came out of this movie thinking, "I liked it." No exclamation mark. I liked it, it was alright, which is just this side of "meh" unfortunately. But, I am also the guy who liked Kraven the Hunter so, so what do I know.Now that I had said this so many times, I am recalling a time when "it was OK" was more than OK. I enjoyed the whole "experience" of film watching, small and big screens, and that experience was mine that I was happy, as long as it wasn't a total piece of frustrating crap. Am I now more discerning? Or am I just older and less satisfied with Just OK.
I immediately bump over to Kent's post, and then I am suddenly hand-waving, "This! THIS !" I suddenly have my exclamation marks.
"It's moderately successful, but it's absolutely clear from the first two fight sequences that Gillespie is not comfortable or confident with such sequences and they are neither clean nor easy to follow, and both are quite poorly lit (it's also quite possible that the theatre I was in was dimming their projector, the whole film seemed overly dark)."
I am only familiar with the source comic material in passing. I started reading a digital copy when this movie was announced, but ... never finished? But I recall it being a popular alt take on the Supergirl character, a romp in space, which I assumed was supposed to be in the tone of "Superman Man of Tomorrow" but I was actually thinking of "All-Star Superman". But, I know that the Supergirl comic was a stand-alone series, which I am not sure would allow for a good introduction to the character. I should let Kent comment on comics, as I don't really read them anymore.
And the editor says you should delete that paragraph....
But, as a good introduction to the character cinematically? If we are being setup for there being a "strongly into irreverence & binge drinking" Supergirl (Milly Alcock, House of the Dragon) in the Gunn DC-verse, then we got that. Its not like the world at large would be widely aware of how Supergirl should be depicted, and really, that's beside the point. We do get that she is historically Kal-El's cousin, and she came from a city that escaped the destruction of Krypton and due to temporal mechanics, she arrived not much older than when she left Krypton / Argo City. Her city may have escaped the planet exploding, but it did not escape its fate. Kara also escapes the dying city, and is probably left pretty emotionally scarred; thus the binge drinking. Also, all this happens in a mid-story recollection.
Meanwhile, in the actual story, she's drinking on a planet with a Red Sun, which allows her to actually get drunk, when Ruthye Marye Knoll (Eve Ridley, The Witcher), whose family was killed by Krem of the Yellow Hills (Matthias Schoenaerts, The Old Guard) and his space brigands called The Brigands. Comics can elicit a lot from names and depictions in just a few short panels, setting tone and style. Strangely enough, it takes more in movies, and so the bar, the aliens/villains within, all end up feeling pretty generic, and most viewers will not be able to escape comparisons to Guardians of the Galaxy. Anywayz, Roothy comes in demanding someone help her avenge her family, is grabbed by a thug who wants to sell her, but Supergirl, despite being "powerless", intercedes. Apparently she's got mad fighting skills, super powered or not.
What proceeds is a series of "nope, not gonna help. nope, not gonna help" until "FINE, I'm helping!" inspired mostly by the fact that Krem poisons Krypto, who turns out to be Kara's dog, not Superman's -- explains the lack of discipline shown by the pup. Supergirl has only a few days to find The Brigands and steal back their antidote. And allow Ruthye to avenge her dead family. And... maybe free some captives?
As Kent said, the Superman movie had "spirit and humour", this one just seems to be trying to tailor itself for the doom-scrolling generations. There is a "human (girl) trafficking" sub-plot and its implied that Space is a lawless and dangerous, yet it has "bus" routes. And where are the Green Lanterns in all of this? Aren't they supposed to be Space Cops? At the very least, shouldn't there be some down-on-their-luck task force members trying to take down these slave traders and failing miserably?
And yet, I began this write-up with a "I Liked It". I did, I guess I just don't like where it sits in Gunn's new DC-verse. I am blatant about my love for how the man makes a movie, and I shouldn't expect all the movies coming out of his stable to replicate that skill, but at the very least, I would hope he would take a Kevin Feige approach to making sure the movies are polished before they are released?
In the very end, I mostly liked Milly's depiction of the character; at the very least, I applaud the sincerity with which she played the role. The character of Ruthye is just pure supporting cast, with no definition and nothing memorable uttered. And the movie shoe-horning in Lobo (Jason Momoa, Aquaman) was superfluous and just an extended cameo.
Maybe you need a rewatch and rewrite just so you can say something you actually liked?

No comments:
Post a Comment