Saturday, May 22, 2021

n Paragraphs: Tom Clancy's Without Remorse

 2021, Stefano Sollima (Sicario: Day of the Soldado) -- Amazon

I used to be That Guy, that guy during the VHS & DVD days that wondered why people would rent such standard Action Flick crap instead of seeking out good, "proper" movies. Why digest pabulum when you can get so much more from a meal with substance and flavour? Of course, I was a hypocrite as I also enjoyed own fair share of crap, because it fit my desired genre. But these days, even more so during The Pause, and yes, I know I have already said this, I find easy-to-digest is usually crap. Oh, there are exceptions, but in general, when I click (press a button?) on an action flick or adventure movie or thriller, I am usually getting something I know I will easily understand, and I am not all that offended if its bad.

But then you get something like the latest in Amazon's Tom Clancy love affair (they also rebooted Jack Ryan into an international terrorist hunter) with Without Remorse. It has a pretty decent production budget, has some recognizable faces, including one of the most currently bankable actors Michael B Jordon (The Wire). And they waste him on a not just "jingoistic" (to quote Kent; its such a great word) but also an extremely murky (morals and lighting) flick that, also as Kent said, is really just meant to pander to the Republican gun-loving crowds out there, but not TOO obviously, so people like myself, who enjoy heroic action flicks, can enjoy.

But at the heart of the movie is the cliché and rather empty "plot" that another war has to be started, that the US needs another easily identified enemy. Only then will the economy be rebooted, will America divided become one nation again. So, despite Jordon's John Kelly actually figuring out that, and coming down hard on the (American) Bad Guy who orchestrated all of this, you get the idea that at least part of the audience is expected to agree with his tactics. Kelly remains the boyscout who does what is "right" but many Americans will agree that manipulated murder of Russian citizens is fine, as long as it benefits the US in the long run. And in many ways, we kind of know that is how some Americans feel. From drone bombs on civilian targets to anti-mask movements, we know some Americans are OK with innocents dying, as long as they get what they wanted. Well, as long as they don't have to do it themselves; and not always then.

From a production view, the movie was fun to watch, when you could actually see what was going on. Like the Call of Duty FPS video games I play, the load-out of gear and weaponry is tightly depicted, and mostly realistic. The attack by the waiting snipers with high caliber weapons, was particularly tense and exciting to watch. But part of me kept on wondering where the movie would go, as it couldn't be going in the incredibly obvious direction it seemed to be. But it was, and that was entirely a letdown.

So, while it wasn't just another Straight To (again, not sure that term applies anymore) flick starring Bruce Willis or Frank Grillo or Nic Cage, it definitely was not solid in the least.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny because I wasn't thinking about most of the problem stuff (okay the fridged wife and the murky, muddy shadows) while watching it. I *kind of* enjoyed it in the moment but applying any level of thought to it made me feel pretty gross for even tepidly enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete