Tuesday, May 28, 2019

3 Short Paragraphs: Happy Death Day 2U

2019, Christopher Landon (Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse) -- download

Like, the last movie, this one was an absolute joy to watch. Bleah, what a fuddy duddy term to use. But that is how I feel these days, getting all gray and pudgy and out of touch. Not that I was ever in touch. But looking at all these pretty college kids I cannot help but think I am not supposed to enjoy this movie as much as I do.

Following up on the last movie, which was basically Groundhog Day Horror Movie (wait, what? why can't I find that movie on the blog? what alternate world did I not watch and rave about this movie??!?!) but oh, so much better than just that comparison, Landon just ... well, does his horror movie all over again but as a scifi time travel flick. He goes from taking the time loop mystical story (she has to find out who she has harmed to end the loop) to actually EXPLAINING the time loop, while keeping the charm and wit of the original movie.

Again, Jessica Rothe as main character Tree (yes, tree) is the best thing about this movie. She is a typical vacuous blonde popular girl (at least those didn't change as I aged) who grows because of the loop(s) she is stuck in. In the first one she just learns to find love and break the loop via understanding, here she gathers the bunch from the first movie (along with additional nerds) and determines (via SCIENCE) why she is looping and solves a riddle. And she gets to grow even more, while not really dispensing being a beautiful, young blonde girl, but becoming a real girl.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...where did my comment go...?
    Anyway, I said something to the effect of:
    I just watched the first one and luuuurrrved it. So much fun. I didn't think it was a horror movie really, but a dark comedy that teased horror movie tropes. It was so R-rated for language but PG-13 for violence.
    As for being creeperly about the college girls, don't feel too guilty. Jessica Rothe is 32. Of course, feeling like a creeper then justifying one's creeperly feelings is pretty creeperly on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger doesn't have a Like for comments, so I will just say LIKE.

    #snort.

    ReplyDelete